About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses


How many times do you use excuses to justify not doing what you should be doing to reach a goal, finish a project, or begin a new task? Sometimes we do have valid excuses like, "I didn't finish my homework because I slipped, broke my arm, and had to go to the hospital." Now that's a valid excuse. Unfortunately, most of us have excuses that are simply a ploy to not do what we should be doing.




Take for instance exercise. Here are some of the excuses I have heard from people through the years. "I don't have anytime to exercise." "I am too tired by the end of the day to work out, and that's the only time I have to get it done." "I don't like to work out by myself, and I can't find anyone to do it with me." "I have too many other things to do that have to get done, and working out always gets left out."





What ever the excuse is....I don't buy it! Here's the real reason people don't work out on a regular bases.....Exercise is uncomfortable when you are doing it correctly. It pushes you out of your comfort zone by raising your heart rate, heats your body up, makes your muscles burn, and feels much harder to do than sitting around on a couch watching television. Most people do not like to exercise. It takes effort and commitment, and that is why people don't do it, not because of time or anything else.





How about excuses for choosing to eat badly. Here are some good ones. "All they had to eat at this party was chips, fried chicken, and potato salad with tons of mayonnaise in it. So I had to eat it." "I went to a friends house and they had this great fudge, and I couldn't stop myself from eating it." "We were driving and all we could find was fast food places, so I had a cheeseburger and fries."



Hog Wash to all of those! First of all, you don't have to eat anything at a party, especially if it is bad for you. You will not starve to death if you miss a meal for a couple of hours. If you are at a party or function where you can't find something healthy to eat and you are on a mission to lose weight and get healthy, then DON'T EAT THE BAD FOOD! It is not rocket science.



If you are at a function where there are a lot of fattening foods, or deserts, you are not obligated to eat them. I have never been to an event where someone had a gun to any ones head, forcing them to chow down on foods that they are trying not to have. Basically you need to find your discipline and will power, and just say no to the foods that will make you fat and unhealthy.





Finding excuses for not eating right, not exercising, not meditating, not stretching, and not doing the things that will get you the results that you want is just totally self defeating. Excuses will only hold you back from the life you want. If you are wanting to be healthy of body, mind, and spirit, then you have to do the work to get there. No excuses!





Saying that you want to lose some weight, feel better, and be healthy, takes effort, commitment, and discipline. Finding excuses why you continually do not do the things that it takes to get the results you want, is just going to keep you where you are at....always wanting something, and never getting it.





I would say that at least eighty percent of the people I have worked with do not stay committed to their desires. It is easier to blow off exercise today, to do it tomorrow. Then tomorrow becomes the same. It is easy to start that diet tomorrow, and eat poorly today. It is easy to talk about what you want, but never do what it takes.




So if you really want to be lean, healthy, and feel good, you must do the work on a daily, consistent bases. NO EXCUSES! Excuses do nothing for you but hold you back. Stop using them to justify why you are not doing what you should be doing. Remember, you are in control of what you eat, how you move, and how you think. Take that control and do what it is that will get the results you want.


NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!




Till Monday,
Queenie

1 comment:

  1. Loved this entry about "No excuses". It is so true that excuses get us nowhere and yet people continue to throw out all different forms of them. Health is about kicking those excuses to the curb and pushing through your comfort level so you can reap the numerous benefits. Loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete