About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Exercise is a Solution to Feeling Lethargic



It is Memorial Day here in the United States.  A day where we remember all of the men and women who have lost their lives serving our country.  I wrote a blog on May 31st of 2010 that gives some shocking numbers of how many lives have been lost in wars throughout history.  Take a look back into the archives and have a look.  It seems to me to be a horrible waste of life, but I honor and respect those who have given their lives for others freedom.



Memorial Day has also become a day to enjoy family, friends, and food.  Some people engage in physical activity, but for the most part it has become about the Barbeque's and picnics filled with yummy things to eat.  I personally had a plan to do a bike ride, or a run, but found myself feeling lethargic and lazy.  I could not get myself up out of my comfortable funk to exercise.




Ever been there before?  If you haven't, you are a rare human being, one that I have never met.  I believe that comfort zone is that feeling that keeps people from being consistent with exercise.  After all, if you are sitting in your house feeling comfortable and lazy, why would you want to go out and get your heart rate up, start sweating, and breath hard?




I will tell you why because it just happened to me one more time.  I can not tell you how many times in my life that I have had to talk myself into exercising when I did not want to do it.  Everyone always thinks that I always want to exercise...not true!  Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't, but every time I make myself get off my butt and get out of my lethargic coma, I change my attitude for the better, and feel as if someone has drained the stress right out of my body.  It is such a great solution for the "lethargic blues".



I actually feel more relaxed and calm due to those natural sedative like endorphins that are released during a cardio workout.  I am feeling more positive about my day.  My attitude is out of the doldrums and back in a more up beat place.  All because I did about an hour of running.  What a great return on my investment of time.




It doesn't matter if you run, bike, walk, hike, or just jump around in your house to music.  It is all about getting that heart rate up, getting more oxygen into your system, and moving that body.  Just push that lazy, lethargic feeling to the side and choose exercise.




I often wonder about all the people who are on anti-depressants today.  I realize that they help many people who need this kind of medication, but I also know people who take them simply because they are going through a difficult time.  If you are alive and breathing, you can be sure that difficult times will be a part of your experience.  Maybe exercise would be a better tool for some people instead of taking a pill.  It certainly has worked for me in my lifetime when I have dealt with difficulty's and stress.  I can't imagine how I would have survived without it.



I am feeling gratitude for all of the people who have sacrificed their lives for others today.  I am also feeling gratitude for that fact that I can put on my shoes and go outside and change my attitude from lazy and lethargic, to energized and upbeat.  Anyone can do this.  All you need is a place to exercise whether it is outside, in a gym, or in your home.  It is empowering knowing that exercise can change your life for the better, and it is always your choice.




I hope your day has included some attitude changing exercise fun!  If not, there is no time like the present to get it done.  Enjoy!


Wishing you Health and Happiness,
Queenie







1 comment: