About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Choosing Healthy Snacks


Let's talk about eating snacks! We all do it, but we need to be smart about what it is we are choosing to snack on. Snacking is where we can pack on those extra fat calories without being conscious of it.

Be prepared for me to talk about the healthy snack choices, and not the snacks that are processed and bad for you. For instance; chips, cookies, candy, ice cream, bagels, cupcakes, or any of the white sugar, white flour, fried foods. Those are not on my list of healthy choices!

You are probably wondering what's left? Nature has given us lots to choose from for snacking. One thing that may be challenging if you are use to eating high fructose corn syrup, white flour, white, sugar, high fat and sodium types of food is to retrain your taste buds.

The cool thing is, you can re-train your taste buds to like most things. You can learn to like healthy foods if you are a junk food eater. When you are used to eating junk and processed foods, natures foods may seem to taste bland to you. You can change this by eating the foods that are good for you, and eventually you'll like it.

Most of my diet is made from vegetables, fruits, whole grains, eggs, poultry, yogurt, and cottage cheese. Once in a while I might stray from these choices and have something off my normal diet. If it is junk food or food that is rich in fat, I will feel nauseous. Fried food does not interest me at all because I never eat it. I have trained myself to like natures food.

Here are some "Healthy" snack food choices;

Nuts 1/4 cup approximately 200 calories
Carrots 1 cup 52
Celery with Peanut Butter 2 pieces celery 1 teaspoon of PB 100
Apple 1 average size apple 70
Hard Boiled Egg 1 large egg 70
Orange 1 average orange 30
Banana 1 medium size banana 105
Avocado 1/2 avocado 135
Blueberries 1 cup 80
Cucumber 1 cup 16
Grapes 1 cup 62
Pear 1 average pear 80
Strawberries 1 cup 50
Tomato 1 average tomato 35
Low fat cottage cheese 1 cup 163
String cheese 1 stick 80
Yogurt with fruit low fat 1 cup 240
Baked chips 1 cup 150


So those are some of the healthy snacks that won't add too many calories to your diet. They are mostly fat free and guilt free. You can learn to be satisfied with healthy foods if you are consistent in eating them.


I never feel deprived and love the foods I eat. I have trained myself to do so, and so can you!

Till Tomorrow,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment