About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Taking a Vacation From Wanting


This past weekend I decided to take a vacation from "Wanting". I realized that many of my thoughts throughout the day had to do with "wanting" or "needing". Whether it was wanting something to happen, or not wanting something to happen, I found that I was in wanting all day long.

I made a decision to stop having thoughts that had to do with "wanting"and "needing" for two days. What a relief it was to think about something besides wanting and needing.

When you begin to be conscious of how much of your mind chatter is consumed by these wanting and needing thoughts, it is overwhelming. Do you have these kind of things going on in your mind?

"If only this would happen to me, I would be happy." "I want this person to be like this, and then I'll be happy." "If I had this much money, things would be better for me." "I need this person to do something for me and then I will be fine." "I need this outfit, and then I will look good."

Need, want, need, want. It is tiring to be in that kind of thought process all of the time. A better use of time would be to take action on the things you would like to see happen and then not be attached to the outcome of that situation. Act on it and then let it go.

For instance; If you would like to have money for a new outfit, don't just want and need it in thought, take steps to get it. Find a part time job, or do some baby sitting for someone. Ask your parents for a chore you could do to make a little extra money.

In other words, spend less time wanting and needing and more time doing. Doing will get you closer to what it is you want. In Metaphysics, needing and wanting will only bring you more needing and wanting. It is believed that the Universe only knows that you "want" so it will bring you more of the wanting.

Whether that is true or not I do not know, but I do know that it feels better to let go of needing and wanting. And you know what I always say, "It is how you feel that is your barometer of how you are thinking, and feeling good is the goal of most all that we do."

So take a vacation from the want and need thoughts. Take action on what you "want" and "need". Let go of the outcome and you will be surprised at what will happen in your life. You will certainly be more relaxed about it, and that in itself is worth giving it up.

Till Tomorrow,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment