About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Start Your Day with a Healthy Breakfast


Everyone has heard that it is important to eat a good breakfast, but do you know the reasons why? There are many, and I am going to share them with you.


When I was growing up, I didn't always have breakfast before I went off to school. I remember that around 10 to 11 in the morning I would get a headache, feel tired, and find it hard to pay attention in class. I did not associate it with not eating breakfast, but I am sure now that it was just that.


Many studies have been done on breakfast and its benefits. The truth is that "breakfast" is your most important meal. It is called "breakfast" because you are breaking the fast that you have been on all night during your sleep, which hopefully is at least 8 hours.


When you wake your body needs fuel to get going and provide itself with energy for your morning hours. Without it you will not think as sharp, feel very energetic, and your blood sugar will be low. You are also more likely to gain weight when you skip breakfast, and will find it harder to lose it.

Donuts, pastries, sugar cereals, and pizza are not high on the list of healthy choices for breakfast. Downing a bunch of sugar for your first meal of the day is not good. People who choose these kinds of foods for breakfast are more at risk of being overweight or obese.


People who eat healthy breakfast's tend to have healthier lifestyles, longer lives, with less illness. All that just for eating a good breakfast, gotta love that!


Healthy choices of breakfast food include, eggs, lean portions of meat or poultry, yogurt, fresh fruit, whole grain cereals and breads, oatmeal, and peanut butter. Pancakes and waffles on special occasions!


I like to make a protein smoothie with half juice, half water, a handful of berries, half a banana, and a scoop of soy protein. I do not like to eat a lot in the morning, probably because as a child I began that bad habit, so a smoothie works great for me.

What ever you choose to eat or drink, make sure that your morning begins with a positive start by having a nutritional, healthy, breakfast!



Till Tomorrow,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment