About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Maintaining Healthy Teeth and Gums


Did you know that the health of your teeth and gum's can effect the health of your whole body? There is research that shows people who have gum disease, or decaying teeth, have a high risk of heart problems, respiratory infections, osteoporosis, strokes, diabetes, and risk in pregnancy.





Having good oral hygiene helps to keep you healthier, but also helps to keep your breath smelling nicer too. It is horrible to talk to someone who has bad breath, you don't want that to be you. In order to keep your teeth and gum's healthy, you have to brush and floss at least two times a day, preferable three times if you want to take extra precaution.




I was born with bad genetics for teeth. My tooth enamel was soft and chipped off my teeth regularly as I grew up. I was never monitored for how much sugar I was eating, or if I had brushed my teeth enough as a child, which baffles me now given the fact that my mother had dentures by the time she was thirty. That's what they did way back then when people had bad teeth, they would just pull all of them and give you dentures.




Thank God that is not what they do as standard practice today. I have spent more time in a dentists chair than most people. I have also spent more money on my teeth than most people. I would not be exaggerating by saying I have spent over 50 thousand dollars in the past twenty years on my mouth. Dentistry is very expensive.


Even though my teeth were not good genetically, had I taken better care of them when I was younger, I may not have had the huge expense and trauma of all the dental work that I have had to go through in my life.



It is so important to floss your teeth. Much of tooth decay happens from what is left by the brush in between your teeth. I have floss picks in my car, in my purse, and regular floss in my bathroom. Its never too late to begin a new habit. Floss your teeth!




Brushing your teeth with an electric tooth brush will clean better than a regular brush. Electric brushes remove more plaque and help to keep your teeth cleaner. We really should brush every time we eat something. I know that that is not always convenient, but it is the optimum thing to do for your dental health.



There are have been studies done on South American tribal people that had perfect teeth while they ate foods that were natural to their land and culture. These tribal people did not brush or floss their teeth, but still had strong healthy teeth and gum's with no decaying. As time went by, these tribes were introduced to foods that were processed with white flour and white sugar. It was only then that they found high incidence of tooth decay and gum disease rampant among them.




Once again, processed food gets that bad rap. When are we ever going to learn how destructive these foods are to all of us?



Having a bright healthy smile requires having healthy teeth. I have known people that have had bad teeth, and stop smiling as much. That is not good. Smiling is one of the best things to do and to lose that because of embarrassment is very sad. I feel for anyone that has gone through that.



So become a floss and brushing fool. Keep your teeth and gum's healthy and clean for your mouths sake, and the sake of your whole body. Make it a life long commitment.




Till Monday,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment