About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Exercise and Your Brain


Exercise is an amazing thing. It is shown to do so many positive things for your body. It reduces the risk of many diseases like, heart disease, stroke, or any obesity related illness. It causes the body to create new cells, therefore helps to reverse the aging process. Exercise also helps our bodies to look better by lowering body fat and toning and defining our muscles.

What you may not know is how it effects our brains. Many studies have shown that exercise helps our brains to think better, remember better, and feel better.

Exercise is known to help people who are depressed to get out of their depression. This is one of the main reasons that I began exercising in my youth. I was always depressed, and I found that when I exercised I felt much better. After I would finish my run or bike ride, I would almost feel as if I had taken a tranquilizer. There was a calmness and peacefulness that had not been there before I exercised.


When we are exercising the brain releases certain neurotransmitters and endorphins that alleviate pain both mentally and physically. This is why I always felt better. It would help to change my mood and became the way that I dealt with my depression.


Exercise also helps the brain to create new neurons in the hippocampus, which is the center of memory and learning in the brain. Studies have shown that if you exercise prior to an exam, you will most likely score higher. What a great thing to know!

When you engage in exercise you create more blood, oxygen, and glucose to the brain, as well as the whole body. Aerobic activity also increases your heart rate and breathing which gives you more energy and improves the cognitive memory function of your brain.

It is proven that exercise helps to clear your head and helps to enhance positive thinking. I can attest to this! It will help to boost your self esteem and give you more confidence. Exercise also helps with job performance and productivity, which gives one a feeling of accomplishment and self satisfaction.


Recent studies have shown that exercise may help prevent degenerative mental disease like Alzheimer's and dementia. What a great thing to know and practice now. Being consistent with cardiovascular exercise can keep you from experiencing many awful illness's as you age.


Basically doing aerobic exercise not only helps you to look great and feel great, it can make you smarter, more productive, better at what you do, and keep many diseases from ever entering your body.

If you want quality of life....you need to have exercise in your daily schedule. Eating healthy is obviously extremely important as well, but exercise is the best medicine for your body, mind, and soul!


Till Tomorrow,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment