About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Friday, July 23, 2010

Friends Equal; a Longer, Happier, Life


Did you know that having a close friend will result in living longer? There are many studies that show friendship will extend your life and bring you happiness. An intimate partner does not extend these same benefits.



I have always considered my girlfriends the jewels of my life. The men in my life have come and gone, but my friends have been the ones to count on. I have such joy in spending time with my girlfriends, sharing and solving the problems that we have, or sharing the wonderful things that might be happening.



You are a lucky soul if you have a handful of true friends. Many of us have numerous acquaintances, but usually only have two or three really good friends that we can turn to. There are a few women that I know that would be there for me in a second if I needed them, and the feeling is mutual.




I have always had good friends, but know of women that have not had that experience. I can not even imagine what life would have been like without them. Because of situations, time, and geography, some of those friends have come and gone in my life, but they have never been forgotten. It seems like where ever my life has led me, I have never been without that close relationship with a good, true, friend.


A good friendship will actually increase your immune system, help you to relax, and help you to feel connected with another and not alone when troubled times are around you. It is the moral support that a friend can give you that will help you get through many tough times in life.




People who do not have close relationships with friends have a higher rate of illness, depression, and earlier death. It is our friends that help us stay in the positive when we are down. They help us through a death of a loved one, or help us when we are not feeling good about ourselves. A true friend will always point out the good things about you when you might be feeling bad about yourself.




I would not want to know a life without my friends. I can't even imagine it. How boring and empty it would have been. I am so lucky though, my life has always had these amazing friends in it. I am blessed and thankful for the friendships that have been bestowed on me. Without them, life would have been intolerable.



Till Monday,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment