About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

New Weight Loss Drug?

I could not believe my ears this morning when I heard about a new weight loss drug about to come out on the market. Have we not learned anything about "pharmaceuticals" for weight loss? Every time a drug is used for this, there have been harmful, if not deadly, side effects.


But, here we go again, another quick fix to not being obese. Never mind eating right and exercising daily. God forbid we do something like that. Oh no, we have to take a pill to lose our fat, while we continue the bad lifestyle that got us to that place.


Back in the nineties a drug called Fen-phen was released for weight loss to the public. After several years of thousands of people taking this "miracle" pill, over 11,000 people sued the company for heart problems and death.


Am I crazy to think that it is strange to take medicine for something that you can take control of by stopping the ingestion of processed, fast, and junk foods, and start exercising? What has happened to us that the solution to everything is to take a pill?


If you are depressed, take a pill; if you are tired, take a pill; if you are fat, take a pill. It is ludicrous to say the least. Why not stop doing the things that you are doing that make you fat?



Ok, then people will say, "I have no self control.", or "It's easy for you, but I can't stop myself." Well it is not easy for me or for most people that control their eating and body movement. It is the results that are more important. I do not want to suffer the ills of being fat.


I do not like the way I feel when I gain weight. The satisfaction of eating lasts ten or fifteen minutes, while the results of gaining weight last a long time. I think about the consequences of my eating behavior, and that keeps me from eating badly. I am more interested in feeling good, than feeling bad. Gaining weight makes me feel bad.


I like the way I feel after I exercise, not always the way I feel while I am doing it. There are days I do not want to exercise, many days, but I know what good it does for my health and mental state, that is why I do it on a regular bases. Just like brushing my teeth. Do I love that task? Of course not, but I know what would happen to them if I stopped brushing them, just like I know what would happen if I ate crap foods all the time, so I don't.


Our society needs to wake up and stop all of this nonsense that we have no control over ourselves. Its called discipline "People". With 68% of our population over weight and obese, we need to get back to the basics of healthy food, and being active. Put down the fast food, processed food, and get off the computer or the couch, and get up and move!


Or take a pill and hope you don't die from it down the road. Oh, and yes, there will be side effects, unless this medication is different from all others, which I doubt. There will never be an easy or magic way to stay healthy and fit. It will always involve effort on your part.


Choose to be healthy the old fashioned way. Its called eating right and exercising. Simple, to the point, and the only side effect to this prescription is feeling good, and being healthy!



Till Tomorrow,
Queenie

2 comments:

  1. This is a good common sense Blog. Very helpful to one who is just finding the resources about this part. It will certainly help educate me.

    weightloss medication

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I believe if we just understand the basics of nutrition and exercise and follow through with applying them to our lives, we can lower the stats on obesity and disease. There will never be a magic pill or crazy diet that will replace eating a healthy diet of "natures" foods, and a daily regime of exercise. Those two things if done with consistency for a life time, will help to give you a healthier body and mind, while warding off disease and premature aging.

      Delete