About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Losing a Friend


I just returned from a funeral of a man that I have known since I was twelve years old. He was only sixty-two, and died in his sleep from what appears to have been a heart attack.

Steve was the brother of my best friend in high school. He was a great guy and left so suddenly that the people who were close to him are having a difficult time grasping the fact that he is gone.

It reminded me one more time that "Death" is a normal part of this experience we call life. The longer I live, the more I experience this thing we call death.

The fact is, we all are going to die sooner or later. All things must die, yet many of us never come to grips with this fact. It needs to be a part of our understanding and acceptance of the fate of anyone who lives.

It is very important to grieve. We all grieve in our own way, but we must not be destroyed over the loss of a loved one. We can choose to understand that it is a part of this life cycle, and that our lives must move forward.

Life is precious. It can be gone in an instant, without notice. I was reminded once again of the importance of being present in our lives, being mindful, and having respect for others. Live with integrity and compassion.

Tell the people that you love how special they are. You never know if this is your last chance. Lift someone up instead of finding fault in them. Follow your passion, or as Joseph Campbell said "Follow Your Bliss".


Be grateful for the body you have by eating healthy foods and exercising daily. Be grateful to be alive. Life is a gift and we should value this body that carry's our soul.

It may not seem like it when you are young, but life is short even if you live to be 99. It goes by so fast.

It is not what you have in this life that will define you, it is your character and actions that you will be remembered for. Not one person spoke about the material things that Steve had, but it was his compassion, generosity, selflessness, and sense of humor that was remembered.

I know my friend Steve is somewhere "wonderful". I was lucky to have known him. He was a bright spot in so many peoples lives. Bon Voyage my Friend!

Till Tomorrow,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment