About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Taking Charge of our own "mind" chatter



Do you realize that all day long you are chattering away at yourself in your mind? The average person has 50 to 60 thousand thoughts per day. That's a lot of thinking. Did you know that we have control over what we are thinking, yet we let our minds go wandering throughout the day as though someone else was at the controls.

Much of that thinking and chatter that goes on in our heads can be negative, particularly about ourselves. Females are very self critical no matter what they look like. I have worked with women who were beautiful with great fit body's, yet they had a very poor image of themselves. In their daily mind chatter they were ugly, fat, and inadequate.

What if you started to take control over those 50 to 60 thousand thoughts that you have every day and turned them into positive uplifting thoughts? Whether you are conscious of your thoughts or not, you will believe them. Why not choose what it is that you are believing and thinking?

For instance; Do you look in the mirror and hate what you see? Perhaps you are overweight and look at yourself and say "You are so fat and ugly!" This is not a thought that is going to be a help to you, ever.

Why not choose a thought like, "I can see that I have put on weight, but I am in control of this. By eating better and exercising everyday I can get fit and look great!"

I realize that there is a huge disparity between those two opposing thoughts, but that is the distance you want to aim for. Be in control of your thoughts and you will be empowered. This takes practice. First you have to start being aware of your thoughts. Catch yourself when you are thinking negatively. It is just like exercise, you have to do it over and over before you get fit. Being mindful is no different.

Let's talk about exercise and how we sabotage our progress by thinking badly. Have you ever thought, "I'll start tomorrow, I am just too tired today." Or, "I just don't have time today", "I'll wait until I find someone to do it with me." What ever the excuse is, it stops us from getting the result we want. This is what I call "Sabotage Thinking".

Take control over your thoughts and yourself. Get yourself up and engage yourself in some exercise because you know that is the only way to get the result of being in shape. Don't let your negative thinking stop you from being who you want to be.

The same concept is put to choosing what you eat. When you choose processed foods, junk foods, and fast foods, for your diet by thinking things like, "It makes me feel good", or "I'll start eating good tomorrow", "I don't have the time to eat healthy", you are again sabotaging your self and will not get healthy or fit with these kind of choices.

Choose natures food i.e.; fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins by giving thought to making sure that these are what your diet consists of most of the time. Choose the thoughts and actions that will get you the result you are wanting.

You can not have a fit and healthy body by thinking badly, eating poorly and not exercising. Choose the thoughts that will create your actions to be in line with what you want.

Practice, Practice, Practice, and you will soon find that being aware of and in control of your thoughts will "Rock" your world in a very good way.

Till tomorrow,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment