About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Having a Bad Day?


Do you have those days where you feel crummy and maybe a little depressed and you are not sure why? Or maybe there is a reason that you are feeling bad and you just don't know what to do to get you out of the funk. It happens to everyone, and it will continue to happen if you are alive and breathing.

What you need to know is what you can do to minimize or negate those feelings all together. We always have a choice in how feel and how we react to any situation.

There are different kinds of depression. One type is called situational depression where a certain situation is upsetting to you. For instance if you break up with a boyfriend, or fail an exam, or can't lose the weight that you want to lose, that type of sadness is caused from something that has happened to you.

If you are depressed and sad for no particular reason, and no matter how good things are you are still depressed, that could be a chemical imbalance that would require seeing a Doctor that specializes in that kind of practice.

Most people do not suffer from that type
of imbalance, they are instead sad from situations that happen in their lives. That is the kind of depression or sadness I want to talk about.

I feel like I am an expert on situational depression. I have dealt with it a great deal of my life. Most of it was unnecessary and quite frankly a huge waste of my time and energy. I would be depressed about what "might" happen, or what "hasn't" happened. I might be sad about something that I could not change. Looking back on these times I can see that most of my sad or depressed thoughts were exaggerated in my head.

When I began to be more conscious about my thoughts and emotional state, I realized that when I was depressed I also had accompanying physical signs as well. My energy would be low, my chest would be tight, and sometimes my stomach would feel nauseated.

This is now my alarm system that I am not thinking right. I do not like how that feels and will shift myself to a better thought to relieve the uncomfortable physical feelings.

Ask yourself when you are worried or depressed about something "Are you 100% sure that what you are worried about will happen?". Do you have control over what it is you are sad about? If you are not 100% sure of what it is you are depressed about, or do not have the control to change what it is you are sad about, use the tools that I have talked to you about in this blog.

First off, there is "Mindfulness" to practice. "Choose" your thoughts. Don't sit and dwell on all the negative in your life, choose to dwell on the positive things. Everyone has something positive to think about. If you feel like you don't have anything positive going on, think about the positive things that you would like to have in your life. Dwell on that.

No one is in your head but you. No one is making you think anything. It is all you, whether you are having good thoughts or bad, it is all up to you what goes on in your head. You choose every thought that you have good or bad. Why not choose to think thoughts that make you feel good as opposed to one fearful, depressed, thought after another.

If making a conscious decision to choose your thoughts is difficult, and it will be when you first begin working on this, use "meditation" as a tool to clear your head of bad thoughts. Meditation is a wonderful tool for changing your frame of mind. Go back into the archives of this blog and reread the Mindfulness and Meditation posts, they will help you to get back on track.

So when you are having a bad day, feeling depressed and sad, take control of the situation by being in charge of what you are thinking and feeling. You are in charge anyway, you just aren't aware of it most of the time. Don't let it control you. You take control of it.

Remember there is always tomorrow, and tomorrow holds the promise of a new day and wonderful opportunities for you. Lift yourself up, and then do the same for someone else. That will always make you feel good.

Till Tomorrow,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment