About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Friday, January 22, 2010

The Power of Juicing

I have been juicing for quite some time now, and I know for myself that it has been a big factor in maintaining a stronger immune system. I know this because whenever I feel like I am coming down with a cold or flu, drinking fresh made vegetable juice for several days in a row seems to stave it off.

There are studies that show drinking fresh juice is good for your health, but with all of the variables that cause illness and disease it has not been "proven" to be a cure for anything. Although there are many people who claim that juicing has cured them of their illness, in the medical world the verdict is still out.

What we do know for sure is that freshly made juice, either vegetable or fruit, is packed full of wonderful things such as phytochemicals that appear to offer protection against cancer causing substances.

Another great thing that comes from drinking fresh juice is the amount of enzymes you will get. Enzymes are so important to your body's digestion, production of energy, and absorption of food. Enzymes are critical for most of the metabolic activities taking place in your body every second of every day.

Heat will destroy enzymes in cooked food, but juicing will give you a tremendous amount of enzymes in every glass.

Juicing will also deliver many vitamins and minerals to your body in a natural way. Vitamins A, E, and C are abundant in a fresh juice, along with many essential minerals like, iron, copper, potassium, and magnesium to name a few.

When eating a whole piece of fruit or a vegetable many of the nutrients are trapped in the fiber. For instance when you eat a whole carrot you are only able to assimilate 1% of the available beta carotene. By juicing a carrot nearly 100% of the beta carotene will be available for assimilation.

I have talked to you about the body's need for water. When you juice you will get the added benefit of the water inside the fruit or vegetable that you are juicing. It will absorb into your body just as if it were pure, clean, water.

Another wonderful benefit of juicing is all of the "Antioxidants" that will fill your glass. Remember antioxidants keep us healthier by killing the free radicals that disease and age us. Juicing gives concentrated amounts of these wonderful "soldiers" of health.

When you juice, depending on the amount you are juicing, you will be getting multiple servings of fruits and vegetables in each glass. My vegetable juices always consist of seven to nine servings of vegetables in one "large" glass. That is nearly my whole day's quota for what the "American Heart Association" tells us we need for good health. Any other fruits and vegetables that I might eat are a bonus to what I need for optimum health.

This process does require that you have a juicer, unless you are lucky enough to live by a health food store that makes juice for you. I found that the initial investment of around $100 for a good juicer has paid off many times over by making my own juice at home. It was an investment in my health that was well worth it.

It is also recommended that you juice with organic fruits and vegetables, or make sure the other kinds are washed thoroughly. Not a good idea to juice the pesticides into your healthy juice.

Juicing will help your skin look better, give you a stronger immune system, give you energy, and supply you with vitamins, minerals, and nutrients your body needs to be at its best.

I hope you are able to start juicing. You will definitely notice a difference when you do!

Till Tomorrow,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment