About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Another Class Ending


Today was the last session for my spring G.P.S. class. It is always a little sad for me to know they won't be coming on Tuesday's and Thursday's and spending two to three hours with me anymore. I become very close to them, for they are all special and wonderful in their own unique way.

These girls, as well as all of my students from the past classes, are full of potential and promise for their future. They are now armed with information and education to live a healthier life. Not only did they learn how to choose healthy foods, they learned why they should.

They learned why they need to do cardio, and why it is important to know what their heart rate is while they are exercising. I taught them about cross training, and its importance. We hiked, ran, race walked, and walked for our cardio training.

I taught them the importance of building muscle, and how to strength train. We used weight machines, dumbbells, and exercise balls to train with. It was exciting when they began to see muscle showing up on their bodies.


We learned how to meditate to relax and alleviate stress. They loved it, just as all of my students have. Meditation is a tool that they can use the rest of their lives. It gave me great pleasure when they would tell me how they would meditate on the days that they were not with me. If only I had known about that when I was their age. I may have lived my life for the better.

I think the part of my program that is the most powerful, is the mindfulness teaching. I have studied this for many years, and it is an understanding that will change your life and how you live it. These girls get it, and that is awesome.

They learned to be "Uplifter's" and say and do kind, compassionate, things for others. One of their homework assignments was to uplift someone that annoyed them in their family. It is amazing what happens when they would do that.


They learn to be responsible for their thoughts, actions, and behavior. They learn that every thought they have is a choice. They learn to choose behavior in situations that benefits them, instead of behavior that creates more problems for them. Its called consequential behavior, and understanding that will keep you out of trouble more often than not.


We have a couple of field trips to take yet, and I am looking forward to those. Another chance to spend some time together.


I am so honored to have had the privilege of working with these girls. I hope I can continue with this work, for it is my passion. And as Joseph Campbell says, "Follow Your Bliss" and your life will be happy and fruitful. Well this is blissful to me to be able to help these young women live healthier and happier lives. I can't think of anything better!


Till Tomorrow,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment