About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Be Responsible for Your Behavior


Everyone I have ever worked with wants to get into shape and be lean. Wanting to, and doing it are two completely different things.

When people come to me to train and lose weight, I tell them in the most direct way that I can, that they need to do certain things with consistency and discipline. Those things are to cut out white flour, white sugar, simple carbs, high animal fat products, alcohol, and stick to natures foods like, fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein, whole grains, and legumes.

I also advise them to exercise at least five to six days a week, preferably seven days a week. They need to do cardiovascular training, strength training, and stretching, for a complete fitness regime. I also tell them to find some time every day to do a ten minute meditation for mental health and stress reduction.



The majority of the clients that I have had in the past twenty three years do not do even half of what I advise them to do to reach the goal of fit and lean that they are aiming for. They continue to eat bad food most of the time, never exercise unless they are with me, and most never try to meditate.


It never ceases to amaze me when they say things like, "I haven't lost any weight", or "Why haven't I gotten more fit?". Its as if they believe just because they come to me for two to three hours a week, they should be getting the results they want without doing the work the rest of the time.


That scenario is played over and over in my work as a trainer. Given the fact that I only have charge of them two to three hours a week out of 168 hours, it seems odd that they can't see where the responsibility lye's.

It does not matter who your coach or trainer is, if you do not do the work, your results will not happen. I am an educator, not a magician. I can teach and motivate, but the student is the one that has to do the work to make things happen.

Getting fit, healthy, and lean, has to do with what you do 24/7. If you only exercise two or three hours a week, it is certainly better than nothing and will keep you from being a couch potato, but to really kick in the fat loss, I encourage you to do more.

If you eat poorly more than you eat healthy, I predict that your fat loss will be minimal if any. Most likely you will continue to gain. If you eat well for a couple of days and don't see the pounds coming off, that's normal, stick with it for life and you will get there.

Being lean and fit is not a short term project, especially as you age. Get into a healthy lifestyle of eating well, working out regularly, and practicing meditation, and you will have your fit and healthy body.

There is no quick fix to getting fit and lean. It will always take effort and discipline to create the good habits of exercise and a healthy diet. You will feel so much better if you can change from eating bad and not exercising to a healthy diet and daily exercise.

Remember that your actions will create how you look and feel. It is never going to be anyone else that will be responsible for your health. It's all up to you. It's all about your choices. Hopefully the consequences of your choice's are fit, lean, and happy!

Till Tomorrow,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment