About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Monday, June 28, 2010

A Reminder of the Power of Juicing


I have written about how powerful it is to drink your vegetables by juicing them. I have to remind everyone again of its healing strengths.


Last week I was beginning to feel a little low energy, and I had the beginnings of what felt like a sore throat. I do not have the luxury of not working right now, and being sick is just not an option for me. So I drove down to my local health food store and loaded my cart with organic carrots, cucumber, bell pepper, celery, tomatoes, beets, and garlic.


I hurried home and pulled my "Jack La Lanne" juicer out and began juicing my bag of vegies. I can tell you that within twelve hours I started to feel better and my sore throat was gone.


Now some might say that it could have gone away on its own, or that the juice acted as a placebo effect for me. I believe that it is the strength of the antioxidants that come from all of the vegetables in the juice. Remember that antioxidants kill the free radicals that are what disease us and age us.

There are many people with stories of healing sickness using juices. I am not saying that juice can fix everything, but if you understand that much of our sickness can be helped if not cured by nutrition, it only makes sense that juicing would be a powerful ally in helping to heal.


There are many books that have been written about juicing. Certain vegetables help different things. For instance garlic works like a natural antibiotic helping with fungus, virus's, and helps to stimulate ones immune system. It is also known to help with blood pressure, and cholesterol.

Cucumber is known to help reduce inflammation, and helps to prevent water retention. Cucumber also helps regulate blood pressure, and can help in reducing a fever by drinking cucumber water.


Celery has anti cancer compounds in it, and that alone makes it worth juicing. Celery helps with constipation, inflammation, water retention, blood pressure, cholesterol, kidney function, and weight loss. It is also great for your skin.


Carrots are great for regulating blood sugar, helps to detox the liver, protects the respiratory system from infections, reduces risk of cancer, lowers cholesterol, helps with constipation, helps to reduce mucus, great for your eyes and skin, and helps reduce water retention.



Bell Peppers help to lower cholesterol, blood pressure, prevents blood clots, helps to prevent certain cancers, works as an antibacterial anti-fungal agent, helps circulation, enhances metabolism, helps to reduce headaches, and helps to reduce sore throat. (well there you have it!)


Beets are a powerful blood cleanser and detox for your whole system. They also lower cancer risk, help with constipation, lower blood pressure, reduces anemia, helps with gall bladder and kidney ailments, helps to ward off varicose veins.


Tomatoes are great for hearth health, bones and teeth, your digestive track, anti cancer properties, better skin, reduces inflammation, and relieves tiredness and fatigue.


So those are all the things that I got out of a glass of juice. Powerful stuff, and I swear by it. Yes it does take some time to go to the store and buy the vegetables, and yes it takes about fifteen minutes to prepare and clean the juicer, but it is so worth it!


Jack La Lanne is now 95 years old and going strong. He has been juicing for many decades and I think it has certainly worked for him, as it works for me.



My juicer cost about $100. It is an investment in my health, and I think some of the best health insurance that I have ever had. If you can't get a juicer, most towns have health food stores where they make juice for you.




If you think you can get it out of V8 Juice, think again. That juice has a ton of sodium, and when juice sits for more than a day, it loses its strength and potency. It will not work the same as fresh, organic, produce will.


Give juicing a try, you will love it!


Till Tomorrow,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment