About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Friday, June 18, 2010

No Such Thing as Spot Reducing

Have you ever thought that you could reduce the fat on your stomach if you did crunches? Or maybe you thought that doing leg lifts reduce the fat on your thighs.


The good news is that those exercises will help you develop muscle, which in turn will help you to burn more calories, which will then help you to lose fat. However, the bad news is, those kind of exercises will never help you to "spot" reduce, or lose the fat in a particular area of your body.

Losing the fat on your body requires you to do cardiovascular exercise as a means to burn fat for fuel, and eat a diet of healthy food such as fresh fruits, vegetables, lean protein, whole grains, and nuts and legumes to reduce your fat intake, and help you to lose the weight.


Also it is important to increase your muscle mass to energize your metabolism and create a better calorie burning system.

Working your abdominal muscles will work no matter how much fat you have on you, but you will not be able to see them if your body fat is covering them up. You could literally have a six pack hiding underneath a keg.


Obviously it is better for your health to be lean, but you can still build muscle if you are overweight. This muscle will help to speed up your metabolism and help you to burn more calories, which will help you to lose more fat.


When you put fat on your body, everyone does it differently, it will come off in the same way that you put it on. For instance, if you gain weight first in your stomach, that will be the last place it will come off.


That is why many of us have what we call problem areas that always seem to have fat on them. That is the place that you gain fat first, so if you have any fat on you, that area will always have it.


I gain weight in my stomach and waist first. So unless I am very lean, which I am not right now, I will have some fat right there on my gut and sides! Of course it is the part of my body that bothers me the most, because there is always some fat there unless I am at a low weight. This gets worse as you get older by the way.


So if you want to lose fat in a certain area of your body, you need to do cardio and make healthier choices when you are eating. That is the only way it will happen....except for liposuction, which I never recommend!


Till Monday,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment