About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Art of Surrendering



Surrendering has always been a difficult thing for me, but recently I have found great peace in the process of learning to surrender.



Most of us have plans and goals for our lives, but most of us find that those plans and goals do not always match with what life has in store for us. Frustration and anger can be feelings that come up when our idea of what life should be, and the reality of what life is, are different. They usually are.



Looking back on my life I can see where I was not in alignment with my actions, and with what I wanted. Many times I have worked hard and diligent to make something happen, and it didn't. I have had my share of successes, and certainly have had my share of failures. It is in the failing that I have learned most of my life's lessons.



If I could go back and change something in my life, it would be to understand and practice the art of "surrender". I used to think that this meant giving up, but it does not mean that at all. It means to give up the fight and struggle that keeps us from inner peace, and it allows things to flow.



It also means to go with the flow, just like you would if you were floating down a river. It wouldn't make sense to turn your boat and paddle upstream in an effort that would get you no where, would it? That is the same thing we do when we keep fighting and struggling to make something happen, that just isn't going to. That is the time to surrender and let go.



I truly believe that if a situation is right for us it will have a flow to it. If it is not right, then most likely we will have continual struggle and frustration with it. If you push and push at something and it doesn't happen, surrender and let it go.




This does not mean that if we are attempting to do something and it doesn't happen with total ease, it is wrong. Most things that we work at take effort and hard work, but if you keep working hard and nothing works out over, and over, surrender to it and give it up.



Many times in the surrender of something, you allow the energy to flow and what ever it is that you are trying to make happen, may work out. I have experienced that many times in my life. Once I let go of something that I wanted so badly, it came with ease.




Have you ever known someone who was desperate for something? When it is about a relationship, that desperate energy actually pushes the person away, rather than it bringing them to you. In relationships, no one likes a desperate mate. It usually repels people when another person is desperate to have them.






We can be "desperate" to have many things happen in our lives. Relationships, money, careers, attention, friends, or anything that we desire can make us feel desperate if we don't have it. In that desperate feeling we are actually pushing our desire further away from us, rather than making it a reality.





It is in the "surrender" of the "outcome" of what we want that is important. Taking the action to make something happen in our lives is needed, but holding on with desperation to the outcome is where we go off track. Letting go of the outcome, surrendering to process, will bring you peace and will also help your life "flow". This is where you can have what you desire, by letting go of having it.




It sounds contrary to what you want, but it isn't. It is how energy works, and we are all about energy. So if you want things to work better and flow more smoothly in your life, learn to surrender and let go of the outcome. There is peace in it, I promise you that.



Till Tomorrow,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment