About Me

I have been a teacher of fitness and health for thirty years. In 1989 I was certified for personal training with the National Acadamy of Sports Medicine. I had a gym in Santa Barbara for eight years. Co-owned and created a spinning bike company which manufactured bikes for five years. Also I have worked with nutrition companies for twenty years. Along with many wonderful non famous people I have trained many celebrities, and members of the Royal Family. My own athletic past consists of long distance running, long distance cycling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, rollerblading, hiking, sand running, track work, and weight training. I have authored two fitness columns in local papers, and have been writing this blog since January 2010.

Monday, August 16, 2010

The Power of Vegetables


You know me and how I love to tell you to eat your vegetables....well here I go again. Each time I do research on vegetables and their health benefits, I am amazed at how powerful they are for helping to keep us healthy and disease free.



I recently began reading a great book called, "The Gerson Therapy". Max Gerson M.D. was born in 1881 and died in 1959. During his life Dr. Gerson created a therapy that healed many people from cancer, diabetes, tuberculosis, and other life threatening illness's. In this healing therapy, vegetables play a very big role.



In our fresh vegetables are healing nutrients such as, enzymes, antioxidants, fiber, minerals, and much more. They keep us healthy, and can help us when we are sick. Vegetables have always taken such a bad rap. I never understood that because I have always loved them from back when I was a child. I never had to be told to "eat your vegetables", I loved having seconds.




Vegetables are light, clean, and tasty. They are good raw, lightly cooked, and for maximum power drink them as a juice. The Gerson Therapy supports juicing. That is where you will get intense amount of enzymes, vitamins, minerals, and other good stuff.




Another great thing about vegetables is that they have no fat, and hardly any calories. It is what you put on your vegetables that can get you fat like, butter, mayonnaise, cheese, and sour cream. Vegies are great with a little "Bragg's Amino Acids", which is a little like a soy sauce without the sodium content. Or lightly cooked with a bit of lemon and dash of salt. There are many ways to make vegetables yummy and filling without adding too many calories.






Many of our health agencies in our country recommend that we eat five to nine servings a day of fruits and vegetables. A serving is around a half of a cup. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. You can have a big salad that has four or five different vegetables in it like cucumber, broccoli, lettuce, carrots, radish's, and add in tomato, and you have almost eaten you daily amount.




Snacking on raw vegetables is a great way to satisfy your hunger and keep yourself healthy. You will also benefit from getting all of the enzymes and antioxidants that can be weakened and lost by cooking your vegies.




So if you have not been eating your daily amount of vegetables....get to it! You will look better, feel better, and be healthier for it.




Till Tomorrow,
Queenie

No comments:

Post a Comment